Monday, May 21, 2012

Happy Victoria Day! (Seriously!)

Smile; it's YOUR day!
So, my many wall calendars say that today is Victoria Day.  Yes, I know; this is actually a Canadian holiday in honor of Queen Victoria, but, being the huge Victoria Justice fan that I am, I can't help but think of my favorite actress today.  Some of you might have noticed that the majority of my recent posts have been me speaking out in my own defense; I definitely need a break from that, so, instead, I'll go back to my roots and tell the story of how Victoria Justice and Jennifer Stone became my top two favorite celebrities.
There were two big events in March 2010 that started me down the path.  The first was watching Spectacular!, a Nickelodeon original musical comedy/drama that Vic starred in alongside Tammin Sursok and Nolan Gerard Funk.  Although I didn't know much about any of the actors in the movie, I still said this in my review: "Still, I would have liked Victoria Justice to play the good girl rather than the villain, because she's way better-looking than the girl who actually played the heroine." Later that month, the pilot of VICTORiOUS aired just after the Kids Choice Awards.  (Ironically, that was the same night that Harriet the Spy: Blog Wars premiered on Disney Channel; more on that later.)  My official statement about it on Facebook was, "Victorious was a mess, with weird, unrealistic characters, and plenty of over-acting...but I LOVED IT!" Little did I know what was going to happen quite soon.
The rest of the year proved to be quite eventful for me celebrity-wise.  Of course, we all know the story of the trailer for Love and Other Drugs; however, that wasn't all that happened.  Towards the end of the year, I checked out Harriet the Spy: Blog Wars from the library.  I really wasn't expecting much; although Disney Channel Original Movies (DCOMs) are usually cute and family-friendly, they also tend to lack enough substance to warrant multiple viewings.  The main reason I reserved the DVD was the lead actress, Jennifer Stone; she intrigued me, and I wanted to find out more about her.  This may sound weird, but her name made her all the more mystifying; Jennifer Stone was also the name of the villainess (that is, the character, not the actress who played her) in Cadet Kelly.  So, a Disney Channel actress who shares her name with a DCOM antagonist? Sounded great to me!  Blog Wars ended up being much better than I expected; I liked it so much, I've watched it two or three times since I got it as a birthday gift last year.  Of course, I continued catching new episodes of VICTORiOUS when I could.
The REAL Jen Stoney!
In January 2011, I felt that a change was in order.  Anne Hathaway had been my number-one favorite celebrity for almost six years, but her career and life seemed to be headed down the tubes, and I was getting a little tired of her myself.  The same was true for runner-up Ashley Tisdale; one look at even the promotional materials for her show Hellcats, not to mention the dreadful film that was Sharpay's Fabulous Adventure, and the fact that I found out about her only days after discovering Anne, meant that they were just getting old.  I had a number of female celebrities I liked--my favorites list ranged from Siobhan Magnus to Rebecca St. James to Demi Lovato to Amy Adams--but Victoria Justice was just pushing her way into my heart, as was Jennifer Stone.  I even had a dream about Vic, and the number of times I dreamed about Anne and/or Ashley during those six years can be counted on one hand!  So, I decided to make it official: Victoria Justice and Jennifer Stone were the new Anne Hathaway and Ashley Tisdale.
Since then, although things have mostly been great with them, there have been some rough spots. Between Vic's abysmal "performance" on The View, Jen starring in the terrible flick Mean Girls 2, not to mention the whole "Breakfast Bunch" incident...yeah, it hasn't always been easy to be a Victorian or a Jennifer Stone fan.  Still, barring a seriously terrible controversy and/or tragedy, I'm in it for the long haul.  Will TORi and Jennifer still be my "top two" three years from now? That, I don't know; after all, Hilary Duff's time as my "main girl" lasted less than 2.5 years.  For now, though, I'm sticking with what I've got.  Those who decry that and say that I need to find a significant other instead of being a huge fan of famous people I'll never meet should go read 1 Corinthians 7:7-8; marriage isn't for everyone, no matter what society would have you believe.
Any comments?
P. S. If any of you read this all the way through, please leave a comment saying that you did. Thank you.

No comments: