Tuesday, June 26, 2012

The Best Song You've Never Heard (Or Maybe You Have?)

Avid television-watchers around my age or older might remember the sporadic ABC show The Best Commercials You've Never Seen...and Some You Have.  The program was intended to showcase lesser-known TV advertisements that were unusually clever, funny, strange, original, etc., instead of the regular monotony during station breaks.  Though the show had some rather unfortunate moments, I admire its intention; many times, original works of all forms get overlooked in favor of the same recycled garbage.
I bring that up for one reason: There is a song that I have loved for years now, but I've never met anyone else who has heard it, mostly because it's largely unknown in the States.  In 2006, my mom purchased UK artist Michael Ball's Live at the Royal Albert Hall CD, which, as usual for Mr. Ball, primarily consisted of cover songs.  This particular album had Michael's take on everything from "Love on the Rocks" to "Gethsemane" (from Jesus Christ Superstar) to even a medley of Blues Brothers songs.  Although I liked almost all of the songs on it, one stood out: "Something Inside So Strong".  Not only did the lyrics just scream me, but the sound was great, too.  Upon further research, I found out that it was originally written by Labi Siffre, and has been covered by everyone from the Dublin Gospel Choir to Anglo techno spinners Dance to Tipperary to even Kenny Rogers, whose version is in the YouTube video below.  Maybe I'm just weird, but I think the song is great; I've always liked songs that talk about overcoming adversity, including Twisted Sister's "We're Not Gonna Take It," "Can't Back Down" from Camp Rock 2: The Final Jam, Kerrie Roberts' "Outcast," and even "Step Up" from the Yu-Gi-Oh!: The Movie soundtrack.  This song goes right along with them; it says to any jerks who are 100% against what I like and/or do, "You may oppose me, but I will win!" With the way I've been treated my entire life, that's the kind of message I need.  Enjoy the song!

No comments: