Thursday, June 10, 2010

On Reading and Selling Books

As everyone who knows me probably knows, I read a lot. I've loved reading pretty much my entire life. When I was little, my favorite things to read were technical manuals. I've outgrown that, but I still do like to read for fun. Most of what I read is fiction; however, I read a lot more than just sci-fi and fantasy. Over the past year, I have read plenty of Christian fiction, historical fiction, juvenile fiction, mysteries, and even some non-fiction.
You might think that I have a large collection of books, and you'd be right; however, it's not as large as it could be. I'm not saying that I absolutely have to have as many books as I possibly can; what I am saying is that I would have a lot more books if I weren't willing to get rid of some of them. I go to the used bookstore in my area at least a few times a year, and I have donated some books to local libraries in the past. Right now, though, I have a huge pile of books in my room that I'm going to put in my family's yard sale this August.
I've put some books of mine in yard sales I've had before, but, this time, I think I've outdone myself. At last count, I have over 60 books that are going to be in that yard sale, and the number is only going to increase as I keep reading them over the next two months or so.
Some of my Facebook friends have noticed me posting a lot of book reviews on the site. In part, that's been because I'm trying to get them read so I can sell them. I also have been reading more because I am trying to not spend too much time on the computer. I realize that, like a lot of people, I am addicted to Facebook. I don't want to leave the site completely, though, because I'd feel like I was alienating my friends, especially those who have no other way to talk to me.
Everyone says I read fast, and it's probably true when it only takes me a day to finish an adult novel. However, if I had a job, I wouldn't be able to read so fast, because I wouldn't have as much time. In fact, I'd rather be earning some money than sitting around reading all day every day. We'll see what the future holds when it comes to that.
Some of you may be asking what books I have in my stockpile. Well, I don't want to give a whole laundry list of every single one, but I will tell you some series/authors: Anne McCaffrey, Star Wars, Star Trek, Diagnosis Murder, Agatha Christie, Bodie and Brock Thoene, Wishbone, etc. That's only part of what I currently have; when the yard sale actually happens, I probably will have even more. Only time will tell.
Any comments?

No comments: