Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Inter-Library Loans and the Blame Game

If you know me, or if you don't but have been reading this blog for a while, you probably know that I volunteer at my local library. I have been volunteering more frequently since we moved closer to it back in October, and even more so since the weather has become nicer. Since starting there in March of last year, I have found out about something called inter-library loan. Essentially, it's just one library system getting things they don't have in their catalog from other library systems. I've gotten some great stuff from that service, including not only books, but CDs and DVDs as well. I've had limited problems with the service; the biggest issue involved a season set of The Cosby Show. Long story short, instead of getting all four discs, I ended up getting two severely scratched ones. However, that was nothing compared to what's happened in the past week.
What happened? Well, late last week, I got an inter-library loan in that I'd been waiting to get for a while. However, instead of coming to the library I can walk to, it came to another one in my city that is somewhat far away. I asked the people at the library near me to have the book transferred there, and they said it was coming, but that was two days ago, and it still hasn't come in. I'm hoping that it will come in soon so that I have time to read it.
You may wonder who I think is at fault for it being sent to the wrong library. Well, the library blames themselves, but I wonder if I may be to blame. I'm human just like everyone else, and I easily could have clicked the wrong button on the online form. Still, it doesn't matter whose fault it is. I could sit here and debate for hours why it happened and who caused it, but that wouldn't help anything. All that matters now is taking care of the problem. I've done everything in my power; now, we'll see what happens.
When it comes to blaming people, I haven't always been as mature about it as I am now. When I was younger, I blamed everyone else for my problems. Even if I got upset and did something I shouldn't have, I said it was the fault of the person who did whatever they did to cause me to be upset. I even blamed people I hadn't seen in years for current problems. For example, I was still blaming my elementary school teachers when I was in eighth grade. I guarantee you that if something like this had happened when I was little, I would have been getting all in the library employees' faces, saying it was all their fault and continuing to complain about it even after I got the item. I realize now that that's not the way to go. When something like this happens, don't worry about who caused it; just take care of it. It took me years to learn that lesson, but I finally did.
Any comments?

No comments: