Friday, September 7, 2012

I HAVE To See This!

Several months ago, I read in the e-magazine Family Fiction that a celluloid adaptation of the modern Christian classic Jerusalem Countdown was coming out soon.  If it ever came to any theaters near me, it must have come and gone quickly, because I never got any wind of it.  The DVD released in April, and I've seen it for sale for about fifteen bucks at local stores ranging from MovieStop to LifeWay, but I think that's a bit much for any movie I'm likely to only watch once.  It did premiere on a channel we get via our digital cable, but it only came on one night, and I was experiencing serious emotional distress at that time, not to mention that I'm not a big fan of watching movies on live television anyway.  The usual avenues I use to rent/borrow movies don't have it available.  Still, despite all that, there's just something about it that appeals to me, to the point where, barring Jesus' return or some sort of serious catastrophe, I just have to see it.
This isn't the first time I've had such a feeling about a movie.  In summer of 2009, Bandslam came out in theaters, but it fizzled out so quickly that almost no one, not even me, got to see it on the big screen.  I was so insistent about seeing it that I literally checked the library's card catalog at least once a day to see when it became available, and I ended up being number two in line.  A random desire to see Harriet the Spy: Blog Wars woke me up to Jennifer Stone, who is currently second only to Victoria Justice when it comes to my favorite celebrities.  Even outside of the realm of motion pictures, I once came across an advertisement for a Christian romance novel called Sweet Caroline, like the old Neil Diamond track, and sought it for quite a while; I was quite happy to find it at my local used bookstore.
All of those were positive experiences, but, sometimes, such feelings end up causing me to get burned.  About a year or so ago, I saw a VHS copy of the old-school music flick Satisfaction, which starred Justine Bateman (Family Ties) and Liam Neeson (Batman Begins, Star Wars: Episode I: The Phantom Menace).  It was one someone had donated to the library, so I couldn't buy or rent it, but, after seeing it, I just had to watch the film.  Just before last New Year's, I finally did, and it was easily among the worst films I've ever had the displeasure of sitting through.  Though the performances were great, everything else about it was just terrible.  Such an experience has made me more careful; now, before watching, reading, or playing something I have such a desire for, I have to make sure: Is it even something I should be exposing myself to? If my sources say no, then I'll skip it and move on to something else.
So, here is my question to you:
Have you ever seen or heard about something and felt that you had to get your hands on it as soon as possible? 
Were you able to do so?
Did it meet your expectations?

No comments: