Saturday, September 22, 2012

Too Many Books? Yes!

This is not my actual collection, but it might as well be!
It's no secret that I am a book lover.  Anyone who has gone on my Facebook page has likely seen at least one of my book reviews, and even "non-Facebookers" know that I often have my nose stuck in some sort of literature.  Equally well-known is that, though I usually buy at least a few books a month, I rarely pay full price for them; between yard/garage sales, used bookstores, library sales, thrift stores, and similar places, I almost always get it on the cheap.
Therein lies a problem, though: Since books--as well as CDs, DVDs, and VHS tapes, for that matter--are easy for me to acquire for little money, that also makes it not all that difficult to overload on them; unfortunately, it seems, that's just what I've done.  Over the past several months, my collection of entertainment--that is, books, CDs, DVDs, and video tapes--has gotten bigger than it has ever been, so much so that I have continually struggled to make room for all of it.  Sure, I've gotten rid of quite a few items; just today, I donated five or so boxes, mostly of books, to my local library, and I've also been to used bookstores a few times this year, not to mention the yard sale my family and I had this past spring.  Despite that, I still have trouble making room for all of it.
One weakness I've noticed in myself is that I have a tendency to buy items that I don't need.  Rarely do I come home from a day of yard saling empty-handed; I almost always end up buying something, even if I don't really need it.  It's apparently been going on for a while; some books that I bought at least a year ago have sat on my shelf since then, only being even touched when I shift and/or move it to make room for other books.  Online interaction has also played a part in this; plenty of time that could have been spent enjoying a great novel or a wonderful movie has instead been wasted checking Facebook or my personal e-mail for the umpteenth time.  Yet, it would be wrong to gloss over the fact that bulk acquisition has had a great effect on why my collection is as large as it is.
So, what's to be done? Well, first off, I think it's time to lay off the yard sales, thrift stores, and library sales.  Though going to one every so often can be fun, it's a problem when I just have to go to every single one I can.  My bulk orders on eBay should also be kept to a minimum. Used bookstores and other trade-in places such as MovieStop are okay, because I get rid of books or DVDs there in order to get new ones, which isn't the case with those other places.  Not only that, but more of my free time should be spent with a book or movie instead of engaging in ridiculous activities such as looking up pointless information online.  Doing so would probably make me happier, and prevent me from getting into trouble, which we all know is way too easy on the Web.  I'm hoping to make a change for the better; can I get you to help me out with that?

No comments: