Wednesday, January 29, 2014

Life, Love, and the Movies

http://www.myfilmviews.com/2014/01/20/announcing-LLM-blogathon/ This is part of the "Life, Love, and the Movies" blogathon, which you can find out more about by clicking on the image to the right. Anyway, here are my answers to their questions:

Life

1. What was the first movie you saw in the cinema and what do you remember about that visit?
The first movie I remember seeing in the theater was Dennis the Menace.  All I remember is the hilarious copy machine scene during the credits and that I had to go to the bathroom more than once during the film, much to my mom's chagrin.

2. Are there any movies you have very strong memories of which are not because of the movie (for example, something which happened at the time you were watching it)?
Yes, both in the cinema, at home, and elsewhere; that's what happens when you have strong memories about almost everything.  Probably the earliest case of that was back in 1995, when I went to see Mighty Morphin Power Rangers: The Movie with two friends of mine; we arrived at the theater late, which is the only time I've ever walked into a movie at a theater after it already started.  In 1997, there were two incidences I remember vividly, and both of them around the same time.  One was trying to watch Flubber at the theater, but my oldest sister--who was severely disabled, mind you--didn't do very well, and we never went to the theater after that; the other was going to see Home Alone 3 a theater an hour away because my brother-in-law had won tickets via a radio contest.  Later on, I remember trying to watch the first Harry Potter movie twice, but had to turn it off, because the scene where the face jumps out of the book scared the daylights out of my sister (yes, the same one I already mentioned).  She was also petrified by Jim Carrey's live-action Grinch and the toy soldiers in The Santa Clause 2.  When I went to see Attack of the Clones in IMAX, I lost concentration and missed part of it; to this day, I don't even remember what I was thinking that caused me to not see something on a mega-sized screen.  Probably the funniest memory was seeing Cheaper By the Dozen, and nearly falling in the floor laughing at the scene where all the dogs chase Ashton Kutcher's character because his underwear was soaked in meat.  My mom joked that she was going to do that to me, and leave me in the backyard with our dog.

3. Which movies had a big impact on you and changed a (small) part of your view on life?
The Star Wars movies woke me up to a whole part of entertainment and pop culture that I'd be missing otherwise.

4. Do you have any comfort movies which you return to because you are in a specific mood (for example if you are feeling down/nursing a heartbreak)?
Not really; when I'm down, I don't feel like doing much of anything.

5. If a movie would be made about your life, what type of movie would it be and who would you like to portray you?
It would definitely be a drama; there's many things about my life where there's nothing at which to laugh.  As for who would play me, I'm a bigger fan of actresses than actors, but, since I don't want a woman playing me, I'd say Ross Lynch, Kirk Cameron, Adam Lamberg, or Nathan Kress.

6. Which existing movie best represents you?
Inception.  I'm complicated, and sometimes insane, but people like me anyway.

7. If you knew you would die tomorrow, what would be the last movie you would want to see?

Harriet the Spy: Blog Wars.  It's my all-time favorite.

8. If you can spend your life working in the film industry, what would you be and why? (You know: Director, producer, actor, cinematographer, costume designer, sound designer, etc.?)
Definitely not an actor, as I've always been camera shy.  I'd like to be a writer; I have lots of ideas in my head that I'd love to see on a big screen featuring lovely Hollywood ladies such as Victoria Justice, Jennifer Stone, Demi Lovato, Andrea Logan White, Valerie Bertinelli... (I could name a hundred more!)

Love

1. Did you ever have a first kiss with someone while at the cinema and if so which movie was playing?
No. (That's all I'll say.)

2. What is your favorite movie relationship and why?
It might be more of a TV relationship, but, I'd say Lizzie and Gordo.  To have someone as your best friend for a long time, only for them to become your partner for life...what's sweeter than that?

3. When did your love for movies start and how has it grown?
Honestly, I used to not be much for movies; as a kid, I mostly spent my time with computer games and television shows.  However, Lizzie McGuire and Star Wars--what a combination!--woke me up to a whole world of entertainment, movies included, that I'd be missing otherwise.

4. If you have to choose one film to watch with your loved one, what would it be and why?

Any of the good Disney Channel movies, such as Brink!, Good Luck Charlie: It's Christmas!, Let It Shine, Lemonade Mouth, or, especially, Harriet the Spy: Blog Wars.  If she can't appreciate it...she and I are splitsville! (That's how important it is to me!)

5. If you can choose one character from a movie to be your significant other who would it be and why?
Lizzie McGuire, and not just because she was played by the über cute Hilary Duff.  I have always seen a lot of myself in Gordo, and, to have a supportive best friend like her as my mate for life...what could be better than that?

6. What was the first movie that made you fall in love with film and cinema?

Star Wars, as mentioned above.

7. How did your passion for movies turn you into a movie blogger?
Well, I'm more of an entertainment blogger than a "movie blogger," but...when Facebook added the now-defunct LivingSocial apps, I started posting reviews of books and movies...and people loved them.  After the shutdown of those apps, I tried others, but they just didn't work as well...so, I used my Blogger account to make an entertainment review blog, where I have reviewed plenty of movies, as well as books, TV seasons/volumes, and an album here and there.

8. What is your favorite date from a movie?
December 25! I like Christmas movies! (Hey, you said "date"!)

2 comments:

Katy said...

Love your choices of Disney movies! I remember watching Brink! and Harriet the Spy - they were so much fun!
Star Wars is one franchise I can't seem to get into. I'll have to keep giving it another shot. Great post

Nostra said...

Never even heard of Harriet the Spy: Blog Wars...interested in checking that one out.

Thanks again for joining and making this blogathon a huge success.