Thursday, August 14, 2008

A Problem Addictions Cause

As I've mentioned before, my life consists of a series of addictions, some of which are quite different from one another. Some of them, I don't even like to talk about anymore. However, my addictions have caused a problem that still affects me to this day. What would that be? Flashbacks.
I'm sure you've probably heard of people who used to "get high" off drugs and have flashbacks later on in their lives. Well, while I've never done anything harmful involving drugs, I have had addictions that were like drugs. When I was addicted to my shows, I couldn't get enough of them. If I wasn't watching them, then I was writing about them, researching them, talking about them, thinking about them, imagining myself with the characters, singing the theme songs, etc. The same thing applies to any of my previous addictions, whether they were computer games, bands/artists, whatever.
The thing was, when I was into those things, I didn't take them seriously. A perfect example of that is the 80's sitcom Diff'rent Strokes. While I adored that show when I was in middle school, I now hate it with a passion. After obsessing over it for nearly a year, I started to realize that the acting was terrible and the show was just stupid. While I haven't seen any episodes of it since giving up on it, I still have flashbacks. In fact, just last week, I thought about a moment from the show, and said, "That was funny." Then, I realized what I was saying, and felt like an idiot.
It's that way with all of my addictions, though. I didn't take any of them seriously; I thought they were "just a TV show [or computer/video game, or book, or famous person, or whatever.]" Now, after having flashbacks of all my life's previous addictions in the past year, I realize that I did go too far, and maybe I shouldn't have spent so much time thinking about them.
As I said in a previous post, I have no idea what I'm addicted to right now. If I had to guess, I would say my past. It seems to be my favorite topic of discussion; in fact, probably 70% or more of my notes on Facebook went into detail about stories from high school or before. However, instead of this addiction causing flashbacks, it actually consists of them. I just wonder what the long-term effects of this one will be. I'll probably find out no earlier than 2010.
Any comments?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Yep addictions will do that to you. Hit you after the fact.