Friday, August 8, 2008

Songs that mean something.

Everyone has at least one song that means something to them. It may bring back a memory; it may echo a person's own thoughts about something or someone; or it may do something else. While I have been a fan of Christian music since I was eleven, for some reason, most of it doesn't really connect with me. I mean, most of the time, I agree with what the lyrics are saying, but the song doesn't profoundly affect me like some secular songs do. So, in this post, I will talk about some secular songs that are on my playlist and really mean something to me.
First off is a song I heard for years, but didn't really connect with me until I was older. "Love Changes Everything" was on more than one of my mom's Andrew Lloyd Webber albums, but it wasn't until I started falling in love myself that I understood its meaning. The song says, "Love makes fools of everyone." Well, it definitely made a fool of me. The final line of the track says, "Love will never, never let you be the same!" Well, my friendships with the three girls I professed my love to are not the same anymore. While I never dated any of them, things changed between us.
Some of my favorite secular tunes are breakup songs. As someone who has been turned down by three different girls, I can understand the meaning of the lyrics. Some examples are, "I tried so hard, and got so far; in the end, it doesn't even matter!", "There will be no white flag above my door. I'm in love, and always will be," "Once upon a time, I was falling in love; now I'm only falling apart. Nothing I can say; a total eclipse of the heart," and "If you're not the one, then why does my hand fit yours?" I understand those words totally; I've lived them.
Now, for my final example. A few months ago, right at the start of my church's door-knocking campaign, I was upset over a problem I'd recently had, and after talking with someone about it, I got over it. When I heard a certain song, despite the fact that's it's sung by a teenage girl, I felt like God was speaking to me through that song. The song was "Leave It All to Me" by Miranda Cosgrove, and the part that spoke to me was, "I will make you change your mind. These things happen all the time. So wake up the members of my nation; it's your time to be. There's no chance unless you take one.…Some things are meant to be, so give me your best and leave the rest to me." It may sound odd that God would speak through a Nickelodeon theme song, but He does work in mysterious ways!
Any comments?

No comments: